Sunday, October 19, 2008

Medina

Medina counts as a holy city in Islam and if you go there nine times, you no longer need to take a pilgrimage to Mecca. That’s a good thing for me because as a non-Muslim, Saudi Arabia will not allow me to enter.

Mosaics were everywhere on the inside. It seems to be their decoration of choice for holy places instead of paintings.

A prayer room that I’m not allowed in.

I can still reach my camera around the corner.

Clocks that tell the times throughout the day when one should pray. The times are a little flexible and one can even double or triple them up if they have a busy day.

Green is the color of Heaven so tombs of important people are painted in green.

This art piece is called Snowflake in Forest. Tunisia has no snow so I’m curious as to why and how this was done.

No comments: